Monday, October 18, 2010

Straw Mazin'

So this past weekend Robby and I went to "The Straw Maze" out past Big Judds. I can't even rememeber the town out there but it's on the outside of town (Rexburg). Anyway...Having to go through a maze and get to the ending is not exactly my idea of fun...But I was interested in going, and we needed something to do for Saturday so we went! I've never been in a maze before...let alone a Straw Maze. And I was a little skeptical of how good this thing would actually be. It turned out to be pretty impressive! It was built about 10 ft. high of bales of hay and whoever created it did a pretty good job. There were many dead ends and turns that would pop you back out at the same place you went in...And if you weren't careful you could repeat yourself several times before finding a new path! We were allowed to go through it as many times as we wanted, so we went through twice. There were some pretty interesting features the straw maze had...Like a random tractor tire just sitting on the ground? We knew if we came around the corner and saw that stupid thing that we were no where near the exit so we'd flip right back around and head another direction haha. Towards the exit there was a tunnel with red strings hanging from the ceiling? I think it's most likely scarier in the dark, because at night the Straw Maze is haunted...So maybe the strings are suppose to be blood or something? But we knew if we hit that tunnel that we were towards the exit!


Robby "getting us help"

After only taking 13 minutes to go through it the first time we figured another romp through the straw would be easy....WRONG! The second time we went through we ended up being in there for 41 minutes!! The average is 45 minutes so we almost hit the average. It was rediculous how many times we'd think we were towards the exit just to find out it was the entrance we had come back to again! During our second time in the maze we ended up back at the entrance 4 times! I think after about 30 minutes passing we ran into this corner we had several times and we decided to cheat. After being in there for 30 minutes it was time for a little help! :) So Robby climbed on the bales of hay to try and figure out where the exit was. I told him there has gotta be some sort of Gospel principle you could tie into this maze and finding your way out. Maybe I should take my primary kids out to it and teach them a lesson on choosing the right or something. :) I've never been so happy to see an exit as I was when we got out that second time! The maze is haunted on week nights after dark, so we're planning to go back for a haunting probably Halloween weekend. I'm waiting for my brother to come up to do that...Cause I'm a chicken and want to be able to hide in between my guys :) Fun activity to do...Unless your alergic to hay of course.




Bloody tunnel


Tractor tire?





3 comments:

  1. Love it! How fun but I would think the straw would make me sneeze... or itch! But it was fun to read your post and see your pictures!! I love those faces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled across your blog! You two are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little town is called Archer. We really appreciate you guys coming out. This years design is even better than last years. We are haunted on the weekends after dark. If you want to come out again this year I will give you guys a discount. Nice blog! -Ricky Carle, www.strawmaze.com

    ReplyDelete